On Saturday's The Box Office will now be found in Callendar House and not in FTH. This will take effect from the 1st of June with opening hours of 09:45-15:00. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Birkhill Fireclay Mine

We regret that Birkhill Fireclay Mine is now permanently closed.

This closure will not affect the operation of the Bo'ness to Kinneil Railway where trains will run as normal.

Please see the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway website for full information and timetables or contact SRPS on 01506 822298 or email enquiries.railway@srps.org.uk for further information.

History of Birkhill

Birkhill Clay Mine had high quality fireclay deposits which have been exploited since the 18th century. Fireclay was used to make heat-resistant fire-bricks for industry: notably these were used in cupolas for Ironfounding.

Birkhill was leased from Hamilton Estate in 1908 by Mark Hurll, a firebrick manufacturer from Glenboig, Lanarkshire and in 1916 the partnership of P& M Hurll (established in 1887) acquired the mine itself.

P&M Hurll went into liquidation in July 1980. Bo’ness Heritage Trust acquired the mine and with funding from Falkirk District Council operated it as a visitor attraction. When Bo’ness Heritage Trust closed in the 1990s, responsibility for the mine transferred to Falkirk Council. Birkhill Fireclay Mine closed permanently in 2013.

See our Brickmaking Industries finding aid for information about the records held for Birkhill Clay Mine in Falkirk Archives.

Contact us

Falkirk Community Trust
Falkirk Stadium
4 Stadium Way

01324 590900
Last updated: 14 October 2014 at 11:42